Saturday, February 4, 2012

Fixing Brokern Parts.

Hi fellow gunplas, Today i would like to share with you on how I fixed my broken Gundam parts. I believed that sometimes when we are assembling our kits or when we would like to take out certain parts, we accidentally snap some of the parts (the oh S*%# moment!), well if you are, then you are not the only one as I had the same problem as well. Perhaps we are nervous or just being too careful however you need not to worry as I am sharing with you this tips on how to make it right again also FYI, after sometime as you build more you will gain more experience and eventually you need not to worry one bit about snapping some parts.

Please do take note that, I had learned this technique from other modeler who posted his video tutorial on youtube 3 months ago so credit goes to him. Anyways this is how I do it!

 As you can see in this picture, there is my 1/100 HG Heavy Arms - Custom EW version, YES that it is my OWW SH&% moment. As you can see next to that is a picture of my hand drill (0.5mm), bought it at the local hardware store. Size of the drill head are depending on the size of the hole you would like to make. Smaller parts that are broken are harder to fix as you need to have smaller drill.

 Next you will see that i had drilled a hole on each of the snapped parts, this is in-order to insert a metal pin (next picture). The reason for the metal pin is that it will gives better bonding strength when the parts are attached together with super glue, compared to just using super glue to attach the parts together. This is to prevent parts from easily falling off or easily snap in the future.

 As you can see clearly that i had attached the pin into the hole and glue it back together. Normally, i would leave the parts as it is to allow the glue to dry of properly and have good bonding strengths, although after 2-3 hours it will attached nicely but better play it save as you would not want to do it twice as it will be messy.

After, waited one full day, now the kits are fixed and now ready to be assembled again. I hope this tutorial will help you in the future when you are facing the same problem.

stay tune for more updates!

best regards

2 comments:

  1. I also had some of the "Oh $4!t" moments, and I used to use super glue too. But it only offers temporary relief, especially with the 'V' fins. For me Gundam is not a Gundam without the iconic 'V' fin, Last night I just discovered that my Wing Gundam ver Ka. had a broken fin and I did more than just flip. No super glue will be able to bond it like it used to, but there is hope. Rather than use super glue, better to use modeling cement glue. The difference is that cement glue welds the PVC plastic making a strong bond, it's like making it into one whole piece again. If done properly you won't even know that there is a break in the plastic. Same thing happened when I was assembling my DeathScythe, I accidentally ripped the front ankle guard into two! just added a little cement and the whole thing is as good as new.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi buddy! thanks for the tips! yes, i believe that using modeling cement would be best to join parts together since it weld the plastic together. thanks! will put it into good practice! happy gunpla!

      Delete